Who are we?
Kellen is a global professional services firm with a primary concentration in association management and communications. We also offer outsource services such as meetings and conference management, digital marketing and strategic advice. We are an employee-owned company (ESOP) with 300+ employees from a wide variety of professional disciplines. Kellen has eight offices in Atlanta, Brussels, Beijing, Chicago, Denver, Kansas City, New York City and Washington DC.
What are we looking for?
Manage the day-to-day operations of three association clients, reporting to Vice President, including overseeing staff, facilitating and implementing governing body’s initiatives related to each organization’s strategic plan, membership, communications, meetings, budgeting, customer service and other pertinent actions.
What will you do?
- Generates new ideas and/or builds on ideas of others to create change/innovation within the organization.
- Looks for opportunities for the organization to expand its influence and/or market; brings these to the attention of the governing body without being asked.
- Provides effective guidance/advice to assist the Board in making appropriate decisions
- Creates agenda for Chief Elected Officer’s review; develop supporting documentation and other Board meeting materials
- Attends Board meetings; present on strategic progress; assist the Chief Elected Officer in facilitating the meetings; take minutes and finalize for approval by Secretary
- Supports and carries out to the best of ability decisions made by the organization.
- Liaises with various committees, including teleconferences
- Thinks critically; not bound by the organizational “box” in approaching new ways to solve problems.
- Displays initiative in advising the governing body on new policies, recommending new programs or changes to existing programs; willing to openly discuss subjects with the governing body as a whole.
- Establishes or assists governing body in establishing effective business and/or collegial relationships and is respected as a business professional by these contacts.
- Cognizant of the need for effective volunteer leadership; diplomatically assists the governing body in considering potential officers, committee chairs, and other leaders and representatives in best interests of organization, and/or coaching individual Board members to strengthen the organization.
- Keeps Chief Elected Officer informed on appropriate matters; willing to convey bad news; provides detailed information.
- Is an effective liaison with the governing body and committees; knows when to contribute information in meetings; tactfully enters discussion to voice concerns, clarify issues and present ideas.
- Drafts correspondence for signature by Chief Elected Officer and other volunteer leaders appropriate in style and tone for the office or the position.
Membership Programs & Services:
- Develops and manage recruitment/outreach program to potential members.
- Develops and manage member retention program.
- Provides input regarding overall association strategy.
- Ensures staff resources and deliverables are focused on organization’s membership objectives.
- Identifies new member benefits, emerging trends and actions to positively grow the association.
Conference / Meetings Management:
- Provides guidance to the Meeting Managers in contracting for appropriate hotel space and sleeping rooms for workshops/seminars/meetings and reviews the final document prior to presidential signature.
- Assists the Program Chair/Committee in developing information for promotion of the association’s workshops/seminars/meetings.
- Develops and reviews promotional materials for the association’s workshops/ seminars/meetings.
- Oversees the arrangements and communication with attendees, speakers, VIPs, exhibitors and others relating to the association’s workshops/seminars/ meetings.
- Follows up with data administration staff to ensure confirmations are mailed on a timely basis and/or according to time frame specified in the contract.
- Assists the meeting manager in planning social events and entertainment in relation to workshops/seminars/meetings.
- Oversees the packing and shipping of meeting supplies to site of workshops/seminars/meetings.
- Attends workshops/seminars/meetings to assist and/or oversee registration, meeting set-up, banquet and special events; and to resolve attendees’ problems.
- Oversee the logistics including member materials, promotional products, promotion of new member programs and services, staff/volunteer schedule.
- Works with Chief Elected Officer /Board to oversee association partnerships and coordinate any relevant marketing deliverables.
- Be conversant in industry stakeholders and trends.
- Works in conjunction with the association controller and volunteer treasurer to prepare realistic annual budgets for the organization for review and approval by the governing body.
- Understands specific budget items; can defend rationale for costs and provide detail when appropriate.
- Assists Meeting Managers in preparation for the meeting budget(s).
- Adheres to annual budget with reasonable degree of accuracy and ensures other staff does as well. Advises the governing body of unexpected deviations; recommends adjustments with logical rationale.
- Acts within authority delegated by the governing body in financial matters.
- Effectively applies principles of accounting and economics to the organization’s operation; provides understandable interpretations of the balance sheet and income statements.
- Identifies, considers and recommends cost-saving alternatives.
- Approves monthly expenses.
Am I Qualified?
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, communications or associated disciplines; 3 years professional experience in an association management or non-profit organization leadership role preferred. Marketing/communications experience a plus. Experience with professional certification a plus.
Requires ability to read, analyze and interpret simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos, financial reports, Board and committee meeting minutes, statistical analysis, legal documents and database specifications. Must possess excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication and the ability to respond to common inquiries from internal and external customers.
Demonstrated presentation and public speaking skills required to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to Board of Directors/Executive Committee, members, clients, and other employees of the organization, top management, and external organizations.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in non-standardized situations.
Microsoft Office products: Word, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint, Outlook E-mail, Calendar and Tasks. Association Management Systems (database software).
Must be a positive team player in a multi-tasking, challenging and changing environment; includes working with a variety of personnel. Flexibility under competing time requirements and changing deadlines. Excellent focus and a good sense of priorities. Detail oriented, high energy, self-motivated, organized, versatile and multi-task oriented. High level of patience and ability to modify approach to work with a wide range of client personalities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the environment is moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel or crouch.
The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 30 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision.
What do we offer?
By joining Kellen, you will have the opportunity to own a part of the business and contribute to a collaborative workplace where you can make a difference. We’ve got great benefits, paid vacation, holidays, ESOP, 401(k), tuition reimbursement and more!
Please send your resume, cover letter with salary requirements to HR9@kellencompany.com