Who Are we?
An equal opportunity, global professional services firm with a primary concentration in association management and communications. Additional services include meetings and conference management, digital marketing and strategic advice. Kellen is an employee owned company (ESOP) with over 350 employees from a wide variety of professional disciplines. It has eight offices in Atlanta, Brussels, Beijing, Chicago, Denver, Kansas City, New York City and Washington DC. Kellen Company celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2014.
Kellen, a full-service, public relations, marketing, and digital media agency with a specialization in food and nutrition seeks an intern for its nutrition communications and research programs. Kellen develops, manages and implements extensive nutrition communications and research initiatives staffed by registered dietitians, nutrition scientists, PhDs and public relations and digital media experts.
What are we looking for?
This three to four-month paid internship position consists of 15-hours weekly, to be fulfilled in Kellen’s Washington, DC offices during business hours, under the direction of a nutrition communications manager and reporting in also, as required on specific projects, to one or more other team members, including company vice presidents. The successful candidate will complete a variety of communications and research related assignments for Kellen clients within the food and nutrition categories. (This position may qualify for dietetic internship hours or college credit). Candidates should consult their individual college or university to arrange this.
What will I do?
- Track, evaluate and review scientific research studies related to specific food-related topics
- Research, develop and maintain Key Opinion Leader (KOL) database
- Perform nutrition analysis and evaluation of recipes
- Track and respond to nutrition-related media coverage and trends
- Monitor and as-directed, engage with nutrition/health professionals on social media groups and forums including, but not limited to, LinkedIn.
- Work with Communications team on nutrition-related blogs for websites
- Attend client-related meetings, if appropriate
- Draft and format documents, presentations and other nutrition communications materials
- Provide nutrition-related public relations, social media program and conference/meeting support as needed
- Collaborate on new business proposals and client campaigns related to nutrition or culinary topics as requested
Am I qualified?
- Completed minimum of three years of college education and pursuing or possessing an undergraduate or graduate degree in nutrition science or a related field.
- Work closely with PR staff to coordinate projects, attend events and draft reports
- Registered Dietitian or enrolled in a dietetic internship program, preferred
- Excellent working knowledge of general nutrition
- Understanding of dietetics related to obesity, chronic illness and preventive care
- An understanding of public health and public policy
- Up-to-date on nutrition issues in the news
- Be able to understand and evaluate nutrition research
- Interest in the culinary arts a plus
- Outstanding written and verbal skills
- Able to translate nutrition science into general layman’s terms
- A problem solver and someone who takes initiative and anticipates needs
- Self-directed with good communication, analytical and organizational skills with consistent attention to detail and deadlines
- Computer literate – MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and NutriBase 11 or other Nutrient Analyses program, with a “Can Do” approach to different and diverse software and technology
- To apply, please submit cover letter and resume. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
What do we offer?
By joining Kellen, you will have the opportunity to contribute to a collaborative workplace where you can make a difference. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume to HR1@kellencompany.com.