August 1, 2014
Our New York office had the opportunity to sit in on a workshop given by Laura Fredricks, THE EXPERT ON THE ASK. Laura is a motivational speaker and one of the nation’s top philanthropic advisors. She taught us that anyone can ask for anything, from sponsorships to fundraising to membership dues. It’s just all about how you do it. Here are Laura’s 5 steps to any ask:
- Know exactly what you want. Be sure to include numbers ($$) and dates.
- Prepare the conversation. Even if you have to do it in front of a mirror!
- Deliver with confidence. If you don’t believe in it, how do you expect them to?
- Clarify the results. Make sure you heard exactly what they believe they told you.
- Plan your next move. Don’t stop there – think about the renewal and add-ons!
When asking, be sure to communicate the value, always use “we” instead of I (aren’t you representing something bigger than yourself?) and if you get a “no?” It may not mean “no” forever; perhaps it meant no, not now. Revisit!
Laura Fredricks is on the Executive Committee of the Association of Fundraising Professionals NYC Chapter, a Kellen client. For more information on Laura Fredricks, you can visit her website at www.expertontheask.com.