February 3, 2015
Every client wants to be featured in the media. Whether it’s in an article in their hometown daily newspaper, a feature in a major trade magazine, a plug on the radio or a spot on national television, they’re all vying to have their products, services or industry promoted.
How can we accomplish this for our association clients when there is so much competition in the marketplace today and the media is constantly being spread so thin and asked to cover more with less? Bring the news to them.
One way to get in front of top journalists in your industry is to organize a media event as part of a larger trade show, expo or conference that you know they will be attending. Since most conferences last a few days, there are opportunities to plan a press-exclusive breakfast, dinner or cocktail reception where your client is the main attraction. Any of these options can put you front and center with the media and give you a platform to raise awareness for your trade group and position your members as the experts in your industry.
Kellen has been hosting an annual editors’ dinner for the Copper Development Association (CDA) during the International Builders’ Show for the past 15 years. The editors’ dinner was originally created as a sit-down dinner to network and foster relationships with the media. Over the last few years, the dinner has metamorphosed into a more social event consisting of a cocktail reception and heavy hors d’oeuvres to encourage mingling and greater interaction among journalists and members of the copper industry. The new event format has been a tremendous success. We regularly attract 15-25 key journalists from all facets of the media. As a result of our annual event, the media has turned to us for information, story ideas and sources to appear on their broadcast and radio shows, as well as for print and online news publications.
Tips for Making Your Press Event a Success:
- Host a raffle – Pick a prize that’s useful for a journalist – a tablet, digital camera, mobile charging station and raffle it off to one lucky guest.
- Distribute your press kit – Preload your association’s press releases, photos and marketing collateral onto a USB drive to hand out to the media.
- Create a PowerPoint Presentation – Highlight your association’s projects and activities to run on a loop during your event so that it becomes a conversation starter and point of reference.
- Give away a branded item – Add your association logo to a pen, mug, money clip or business card holder for attendees to remember you by.
- Feature a tabletop display – Create some buzz by showcasing your association’s products in a mini tabletop exhibit.
If you would like to learn more about organizing a media event for your client, business or association, contact me at email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter @RXGumucio.