April 2, 2013
China has taken on a key role in the global political and economic arena. Global associations find their members have interests or activities in China, yet finding the right approach to support the member needs or establishing a presence in China can be challenging – not only operationally, but also financially and in terms of the legal aspects.
To help association executives explore the opportunities for their association and find the right approach for the unique challenges in China, Kellen Company developed a webinar series titled “Associations without Borders: China.” In these ongoing webinars, association executives working in China in various capacities will share and discuss their experiences. Kellen professionals have experience with everything from market assessments, competitive analyses and economic impacts to the formation of large scale trade shows and developing chapters and association presence in China.
The first webinar was held on March 4th, 2013. Dr. Haley Stevens, Executive Director of the International Food Additives Council (IFAC) shared IFAC approach to regulatory monitoring in China the establishment of the IFAC China presence. Russell Lemieux, Executive Director of Airline Passenger Experience Association (APEX) shared associations experience in setting up a Road Show. Some of their recommendations for setting up a presence in China were:
- Do your homework and take one step at a time!
- Understand the unique legal and cultural framework: China’s limitations on association activity
- Conduct market research and conduct a strategic membership assessment
- Develop a local counterpart strategy – find the right local counterpart organization that shares a common mission/vision and can support your association goals in China
If you would like to view a copy of the presentation, click here.
We are looking forward to continuing this webinar series. The next will be held in the second quarter of 2013 and will cover:
- Translating Member Benefits
- Marketing in China – Websites, Social Media and Conferences
- Presence in China – Infrastructure, Legal and HR
All attendees to the webinars can make use of a complimentary 1 hour strategic consultation with a Kellen China professional to discuss your association entering the Chinese market. If you would like to attend the next webinar or take advantage of the strategic consultation, you can reach me at SBasart@kellencompany.com.