March 24, 2014
We all know how valuable it is for prospective members to hear from others in their industry about the value of your association’s membership. That means testimonials. Now-a-days a live or video recorded testimonial is much more powerful than a written testimonial and can be relatively easy to produce. Buy yourself an inexpensive video recorder and bring it to meetings to video tape testimonials.
Here is what you can do:
- Bring your video camera to Board meetings, Annual Meetings and committee meetings
- In advance of the meeting, set up appointments with members to record their testimonials
- Select members who are articulate and can give examples of how your association has benefitted them
- Select a nice cross-section of members so the testimonials appeal to all member types
- If they don’t have a story themselves, offer talking points prior to event so they are prepared with messaging
- Share the testimonial with the participants so they can distribute it to their own networks
- Include testimonials on website and in your promotions
- Be sure to get in writing (email is fine), how these emails will be utilized (on website, in promotions and for how long)
It is always helpful for current members to sing the praises of the association, rather than staff. Be sure to help craft the messaging points and you will be sure to have a superb marketing tool for your next membership recruitment effort!