July 12, 2013
Are you putting together a sponsorship program? Don’t forget about social media opportunities in your benefits or recruiting sponsors via social media platforms.
If you’re looking for new sponsors (and who isn’t?), here are a few ideas to find and interact with potential sponsors:
- Check out the followers of your organization’s Twitter account. These companies could very well be prospects. Websites are generally posted on their account pages.
- Use LinkedIn for prospecting. This is a great way to discover who you need to speak to and it also opens up networking opportunities. If you have a LinkedIn profile yourself, you may find a colleague, client, supplier or friend who is connected to one of your target sponsors.
- Be sure to “like” prospects and sponsors on Facebook and “follow” and “retweet” on Twitter. They will notice the attention.
Once you have sponsors interested, offer them non-traditional sponsorship options. Companies are looking to leverage their social media messaging, and your organization can expand their audience. Here are some offerings you could include in a sponsorship package:
- Online benefits such as banner advertising, Facebook posts with links or tweets are typically low or no cost.
- In addition to including posts and tweets with links and logos as sponsor benefits, don’t forget to include video. Many companies have corporate videos and would love to post it as a sponsor.
- Guest posting. If your organization has a blog, you could offer sponsors a guest post about something that overlaps with your mission.
- Collect more info on your sponsorship commitment forms: Facebook URL, Twitter handle, etc.
- Consider offering sponsors a video interview (or even a series) as part of their packages. If your sponsors are local, have them drop into your office and record a short interview in which you ask them about their products and services in a thoughtful conversation using a flipcam or smart phone. If they are not local, use Skype or GoToMeeting. Then, publish the video on your website and social media accounts to get it in front of your members.
Your potential and current sponsors will appreciate these exciting new tools to get their name out. Have you offered any other social media packages to sponsors? Leave a comment with your tips!