April 22, 2013
Happy Earth Day! Earth Day’s purpose is to create awareness of what we can do as a society and as individuals to make a difference in the world we live in through environmental protection. Kellen Meetings strives to plan meetings and conventions that help create a more sustainable environment. According to the Convention Industry Council, a “green” meeting or event incorporates environmental consideration to minimize its negative impact on the environment.
At a conference for 2,000 attendees, by simply not prefilling water glasses at each table during three days of lunches, approximately 510 gallons of water can be saved. By using china and glassware at the same conference, nearly a ton of waste (plastics or other disposables) is saved from going into landfills. It is estimated that an average 12 oz. plastic water bottle would take up to 5,000 years to decompose. By collecting all of the name badge holders for reuse at an event of 1,300 attendees you can save nearly $1,000. Not only do green meetings save money and help protect the environment, they provide you with a competitive advantage in the marketplace, and enhance the image of your organization as working towards being environmentally responsible.
Here are some more simple tips for planning a greener meeting:
- Offer guests paperless check-in and check-out systems. It reduces the amount of paper waste.
- Provide clearly marked recycling containers throughout the meeting space so guests don’t have to spend extra time looking for proper recycling receptacles. When recycling make sure you have receptacles not only paper and plastic waste, but aluminum and cardboard as well.
- Maintain a donation program for all food that is left over from meals. This allows for no food waste and allows for someone not as fortunate to have a meal that they may not have had otherwise.
- Request that the hotel not use any disposable cups, plates, and cutlery to keep waste to a minimum.
- When cleaning from the event, ensure that cleaning products do not contain harmful toxins that can be introduced to the environment.
These few differences can make a large impact on the environment during your next event. This Earth Day, help Kellen Company share with others what small differences event planners can make to create a big difference. Learn more about how Kellen Company is able to help with green meetings here.